Looking to sharpen your thinking skills? Working on a part-time MBA? Mind maps help big time!
Here are some quick tips for successful study
- Start with the end in mind. Get your syllabus. Study it. Get out your study notes and checkout the headings and sub-headings. You don’t have time to read everything in total detail, so make sure you get an early picture of the whole syllabus and use that overview to pick out the key areas that always come up.
- Spot. Spot. Spot. Get old papers. Figure out what always comes up. Go for that first. Early in the year.
- Take a sheet of paper for each subject. List the main topics and sub-topics down the page.
- Better still – make a mind map for each subject. Personalise each area by using your own codes such as “easy”, “interesting”, hard”, “need help with this” and “eeeek!” etc
- Plan. Plan. Plan. Build in revision time EVERY DAY for stuff covered that day. Then review it again tomorrow, and again next week, and a month later. Then finally just before the test or exam.
- Mind maps are fantastic for making summaries that are memorable and help you to get your head around stuff. They even make cool wall hangings – so you surround yourself with the stuff you’re working with. That way you never forget.
- Be proactive. You MUST look over the textbook version of your next lecture or lesson BEFORE the lecture. This means you’ll have to pester the lecturer for what they plan to cover next. Don’t worry – he/she won’t see you as a nuisance – they welcome students who come forward like this.
- Read cool books like Tony Buzan’s Mind Map book. Finkel’s Brain Booster.
- Get free mindmap preview software by searching google for freemind or Buzan’s iMap.
- Improve your mind with Transcendental Meditation – it’s proven to help you concentrate.
- Prefer baroque music over heavy metal or industrial goth for your study times.
- Get enough exercise.Take frequent breaks
- Eat only fantastic food – organic is best.
For the younger student:
Call about our occasional 4 hour PowerLearning ® courses in Houghton fro teens. 1pm – 5 pm,Call 011 483 0685 for details. Checkout this brochure for more info